Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Watching Rachel change a diaper is an odd experience, especially after having changed a couple myself. As I watch my hands unbutton the onesy, the snaps never cooperate for me. Huge fingers clumsily prod for the sticky tabs like they were half on novocain, and Lydia’s frog-leg routine doesn’t make it look any more natural. These hands look so mechanical as they over judge the amount of diaper needed in back, leaving the front shortchanged; then pulling a little out leads to pulling too much to the front. “Just lift her up a little bit and tweak it to the side some more,” I coach the hands from the pilot’s seat. Why does it look so flowing and second nature when Rachel’s skinny hands maneuver Lydia’s bird legs back into the gentle snapping of her purple onesy? I guess I’ll leave it to the professionals. – And how the heck do you spell “onesy”…“one-zee”?

No comments:

Post a Comment